Thursday, July 24, 2014

Week 6- Role of the Facilitator

In reviewing my learning log I realized I never posted my week 6 reflection. Here it is below!

1. Will my role in the teaching/learning process change?
I don’t believe my role in the teaching/learning process will change very much. My normal
teaching relies heavily on the the implementation of student-centered activities. My primary task is to
develop curriculum that allows students to be self-directed learners. I must creatively think of how to
create more manageable tasks that hold real world value and keep students engagement. These
components allow students to develop mastery learning. That mastery learning comes from hands
on/do-it-yourself (DIY) mentality of learning. I see my job in the classroom as
guiding students in the right direction, asking higher-level thinking questions to drive their
understanding, and facilitating learning. My job also requires that I assess the classroom climate to
meet the needs of all students and develop differentiation when necessary. 

2. What are the skills of effective facilitation?
Effective facilitation requires that the teacher be organized. It demands that students understand
the norms of the classroom along with the expectations of the assignment. For teachers to trust
students in collaboration students must demonstrate a level of maturity that comes through effective
teacher modeling and classroom management. I think a huge component in facilitation is allowing
students to struggle and not giving in when they simply want to be told how to do what the task
requires. I know when I feel fatigued and frustrated it is easy to fall back into the default mode of
explaining to students the steps they should take rather than guiding their thinking process. When
teachers stay patience and guide students through questioning and providing appropriate resources it
puts the responsibility of learning on the student. The road to self-discovery is often more
challenging, but the fruit produced is far more meaningful. 

3. Will the students develop the competencies and skills needed to be successful?
I believe students will develop the skills they need to be successful. The thing I like about my
PBL is that each of the formative assessments is a result of a purposeful lesson that is taught so that
students are exposed to a specific skill that will be required in the culminating activity. The goal is
that through managing the amount of information students are introduced to in each lesson that they
will develop a depth of learning. Moreover, each activity requires that students engage in critical
thinking skills and in some work with others to solve problems. As a result, students will find
themselves having to dig into the meat of the content through the application of the desired skills. It is
through application and evaluation that students find themselves engaging in higher-order thinking. 

4. What changes will you need to make in order to become an effective facilitator in your PBL
unit?
       One of the biggest changes I will need to make in my PBL is creating a list of guiding questions
for students. I think by creating a set of questions that can easily be accessed at any time to facilitate
informal, impromptu classroom discussion will allow me to be proactive in the facilitation process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment