Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Welcome!

Hi all!

My name is Megan Poindexter and I am currently a 9th grade English teacher in central California. I told myself I never wanted to be a teacher growing up, but we all know how plans change. I studied Mass Communications Journalism in college hoping to become a professional sports writer or publicist. After dabbling in that career field for a little while I discovered my passion for teaching. I moved to China and taught English for a year before returning state side to earn my credential. Last year I moved back to my hometown and now teach at my alma mater, Clovis High School, and absolutely love it! I’m so thankful for the opportunity to be a cougar. 

At CHS I also coach cross country and track and field. Running is a huge passion of mine and coaching is incredible blessing. Most of my time is spent traveling to meets up and down the west coast when we are in season. Out of season I enjoy hiking, we aren’t to far from Yosemite; baking, I’m gluten and dairy free so I like to experiment; and spending time with my family. 

My desire for the future is to act as a resource for my school district when it comes to embracing technology. California is going through a huge shift with Common Core Standards being implemented, and with that shift there is always a learning curve. I believe this learning log will act as a great resource for not only myself, but my colleagues in the future. As educators our goal should be to constantly be learning new ways to teach and better the classroom environment for our students. My hope is that this log will remind me of what I want to accomplish with students to help them think critically and also to prepare them for life in the real world. 

I’m looking forward to a great semester!

Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment