Monday, August 10, 2015

Project #5: Worked Example Screencast



Here is the link to my narrated script.

I really enjoyed this screencast assignment. I think I always overestimate the simplicity behind an actual screencast. One of the ideas I have been trying to embrace in my classroom is the concept of the flipped classroom, where students receive direct instruction from home and then have opportunity to practice in the classroom. I’m realizing more and more how practical this would all be if I created more screencast videos. If I created instructional videos and posted them in my Google Classroom account I think it would leave room in my schedule to offer more guided practice. 

While I have played with Captivate, Camtasia, and Jing, I actually feel most comfortable using my QuickTime Player. As a Mac user this QuickTime is very easy to navigate and extremely user-friendly. I did attempt to create my screencast using Jing and found that the audio was more muffled; however, when I switched to QuickTime the audio was clear and crisp. 

My biggest challenge in creating this video was using the narration script. I understand the point of having a script to make the video flow more smoothly, but I tend to do better when I speak in the moment. Organic content is far better for me than something that is rehearsed. When I have a generic outline to follow and I speak in the moment I believe it is far more fluid. I also believe my students find it to be more relatable because they realize that things are going to be perfect in videos. 


I also wanted to be sure that this video was meaningful. I use Easybib like crazy in my class and student mastery of how to use this tool is essential. It has actually inspired me to make more instructional videos on how to cite sources appropriately. Time is always the big issue educators face, but I am looking forward to making time to work on creating more worked examples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment