Saturday, July 18, 2015

Haiku Deck Presentaiton


This week we were asked to apply our knowledge of the modality and redundancy principles. The big idea with these concepts is that individuals learn better when images are accompanied by narration and ONLY essential on-screen text. The principles cling tightly to the concept of learners having dual channel processing, meaning in one channel individuals process pictorial images while in the other channel they are processing the language (whether it be on-screen text or narration). Regardless, the dual channel processing idea acknowledges that individuals can only take in and process so much information at a time. This process challenges the ideals and habits of most existing teachers. We tend to be text heavy or image heavy and on top of that don’t consider how our added narration factors into the mix. The point being we need to be intentional and strategies about how we partner images and text. 

Haiku Deck is a great resource that forces individuals to be strategies and intentional about their selection of visuals, choice of on-screen text, and narration. My biggest passion in life is running and coaching the sport. Teaching is a joy, but running with my students daily breathes life into me. I wanted to create a presentation that would hopefully send a message to potential runners about the benefits of running and all it has to offer the individual. When ti comes to projects like these my number one struggle is always choosing a topic. 

However, once I was able to choose my topic I was off and running. Haiku Deck is extremely user friendly and offer diversity in slide format lending to greater creativity. The way to which the text grew smaller with the more words placed on a slide at a time challenged me to really think: Is this on-screen text necessary? Normally on a Google Slides presentation or a similar platform I would find myself putting lots of text or distracting images to simply add the fluff. This tool really forced me to strip the material to its’ raw form and only include the necessary parts.  Doing this forced me to think, analyze how I best want to portray my message, and consider what is essential vs. non-essential information. It did take me some time to get through learn how to input background images, resize images, and change the formatting. Yet, every new tool comes with a learning curve and once one becomes familiar with the tool it is easy to navigate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment